In today’s verses we get an overview of Israel’s future in Egypt. The people of Israel prospered while they were in Egypt. It says they gained possessions while they were there. It also says the family grew and multiplied exceedingly! If you’ve read further on in the story — in the book of Exodus — you know that the fact that they grew and prospered so much while living in Egypt eventually caused them some major problems.
We also learn in these few verses that Jacob (Joseph’s father) lived 17 more years after moving to Egypt. And when he knew the end was near, he asked Joseph to promise he wouldn’t bury him in Egypt. He also asked him to take his body back to his homeland and bury him where his ancestors were buried. And Joseph promised he would.
– God is not limited by our location. He can still bless us EXCEEDINGLY — even when we’re living in a foreign land and in the middle of a nation that worships idols. There is nothing strong enough to stop God’s hand of blessing from reaching us — no matter where we are. We need to stop thinking our poor choices in the past, our neighbors, our government, our family, our location, our boss, or anything or anybody else is going to keep God’s blessings from reaching us!
– God is not limited by our age. He can continue to use us and bless us and bless others through us as long as He wants to. We need to stop thinking we’re too old, it’s time to retire from life, time to slow down, time to take a backseat and let someone younger take over. God may have something major He wants to do for us, in us, or through us and it may entail a complete uprooting and transplanting. And we need to be open to whatever He wants to do with us.
– God expects us to respect our grown children. We are to ASK and not DEMAND.
– God expects us to respect our parents. If possible, we are to carry out their end of life requests.
– How do I feel God’s blessings are being limited in my life? Who/What am I blaming? What choices have I made that I believe are preventing God’s blessings from reaching me?
– How do I feel my age is limiting God working in me and through me?
– When have I DEMANDED instead of ASKED something of an adult child?
– What end of life requests do I hesitate to promise to do? Why?
Genesis 47:27-31 / Amplified Bible (AMP)
27 And Israel dwelt in the land of Egypt, in the country of Goshen; and they gained possessions there and grew and multiplied exceedingly.
28 And Jacob lived in the land of Egypt seventeen years; so Jacob reached the age of 147 years.
29 When the time drew near that Israel must die, he called his son Joseph and said to him, If now I have found favor in your sight, put your hand under my thigh and [promise to] deal loyally and faithfully with me. Do not bury me, I beg of you, in Egypt,
30 But let me lie with my fathers; you shall carry me out of Egypt and bury me in their burying place. And [Joseph] said, I will do as you have directed.
31 Then Jacob said, Swear to me [that you will do it]. And he swore to him. And Israel bowed himself upon the head of the bed.